Monday, October 8, 2012

Front door face lift


Front doors make a huge statement for a house.  Do you agree with me?  Or do you think a door is just a door?  I have always been fond of a bright welcoming door on a ridiculously cute house.  Take a drive through Utah, and you'll know what I mean.
 
We have lived in our house 2 years this month, and for the last 2 years, that door has been screaming at me for a face lift.  Let's face it, from the outside, my house looks dinky and boring (it's a Vegas house), so the badly painted, shade of POOP Brown just wasn't working for me.
 
So did you know that the color of your door should be based on the direction that your house faces?  I didn't either until about 6 months ago when I was discussing door colors for my sister's house.  She wants an orange door!!  She is so cool!  It's all Feng Shui.  My house faces North, which means WATER.
 
WATER - EASE, FRESHNESS AND ABUNDANCEA harmonious Feng Shui Water Element will bring a refreshing energy of calm, ease, purity and freshness. Water is also the ancient symbol of abundance, thus a potent feng shui cure.
  • Water is the Feng Shui element of North.
  • Water element is also good to use in the East and Southeast areas of your space.
  • Feng Shui Water Element Colors are:
I didn't want black since my house looks small from the outside, so blue it was!
 
Knowing that I live in a STUPID HOA where I have to fill out an application to paint my door, I quickly went to work trying to pick out a conservative blue that the HOA would approve.  I even enlisted the help of my facebook friends.  We all decided on Glidden: Tropical Lagoon.  Doesn't that just scream water?  A month and a half later I still had not heard back from my HOA and I just knew in the back of my mind that they had turned it down.  I called one day (not my job) and yes indeed, they said it did not coordinate with the rest of my neighborhood (You think?  Have you seen my street?  That's kind of what I was going for!!!) and to choose either an earth tone blue, or beige...... (cricket..... cricket.......)  A beige door?  When my house is white with light brown pop outs and garage door?  And these are the people that choose our house colors.  GAG ME WITH A SPOON!
 
A few days later I chose another color.  Behr: Lyric Blue.  It's a little lighter than an "earth tone blue", but it should be fine.  And if it isn't?  Then I'll be sure to take photos of the not 1, but 4 Section 8 houses around me who somehow get to live here without following all their rules.
 
Here's the Before and After.






2 comments:

chercard said...

I Love it!

Unknown said...

I love it sheree. The color makes everything pop and friendly.